The site was made with boringly simple tools:
- A text editor (Emacs and vim)
- A web server (Apache)
- A GNU/Linux distribution running on an always on low power computer.
- The source code is available at https://framagit.org/GNUtoo/gnutoo-website.git
The more interesting aspects:
- The GNU/Linux distribution is Parabola, a 100% free software distribution.
- The computer has an APU1, with coreboot (which unfortunately still uses a proprietary software (called SMU) to support that computer).
- I host my own DNS zone
- The computer is self hosted
Advantage of such setup
- silence: This computer has no fan and uses an SSD.
- Low power: The machine consumes about 6W idle.
- compat: The machine is small enough to be transported.
- 2mPCIe connectors
Disadvantages of such setup
- No HDD racks, but you can add an 2.5" SATA HDD or SSD
- Only 4G of RAM
- the mPCIe don't use any screws but plastic and metal that looks fragile
- To have more flexibility I administrate my DNS zone (with bind).
- Have my own zone requires a public static IP address. I use the FDN VPN for that.
- Due to the fact that the SSD is small and that SSD are very fast, checking it doesn't take too much time, so this is done at every boot.